Monday, October 17, 2011

Outrunning The Horde, pt. 1


October 16th, 2011, P.R.

It's a well-known fact that the zombie apocalypse is inevitable, and it's going to be any day now (as it has been for the last decade or so). With that in mind, I realize that I would most likely end up as one of the lurching, lumbering infected rather than one of the heroic survivors, forced to make life-or-death decisions, bravely fighting off the hordes with all the guns and ammo everyone will invariably leave lying around town (Video games have taught me that this is fact).


My lifestyle presently includes a lot of sitting. Like, a lot. At work, I sit at a computer for about eight hours, occasionally getting up for coffee. When I come home, I sit down at my personal computer and play games or surf the internet. Or else I'll read a book, which includes more sitting. Even when I'm not doing any of those things, I'm playing cello, an instrument that requires you to be sitting. It comes as no surprise, then, that I have developed the beginnings of a little paunch.

It crept up on me slowly. It started with a few folds in the stomach whenever I leaned forward, and now it's spread to my sides as well. Pants I used to love I now dread, because wearing them hurts. The other day, I went to the park and was out of breath walking up a hill. Walking up a hill!

That's when it hit me: when the zombies rise up, I will be nothing more than a tasty snack for them, and probably not even that tasty.

Well, hopefully there's still time. Hopefully there's time before that unfortunate lab accident finally sends civilization as we know it spiralling into chaos, before that meteor with a space-borne virus lands at the edge of that small town, before the cure for cancer or some other disease develops dire and unforeseen side-effects.

I'll start by the most basic thing I can do: get into shape. I'll start slow, though, since I don't want to shock my system and scare myself away from this. So the first thing I'm going to do is start jogging. I don't have scale handy, so I don't know how much I weigh right now; my guess is 135 lbs., and I'm about 5'5”. I'm a pretty skinny guy to begin with, so that paunch looks extra-ridiculous.

Addendum: I just weighed myself: 137 lbs.!

No comments:

Post a Comment